I’ve worked for the BBC, ITV, Sky News, local community radio stations and a tabloid newspaper in Cape Town.
Fiona has multi-platform Journalism experience. She works accurately and efficiently, has a confident telephone manner and can approach public and contributors with ease.
- Clean Drivers License held for 6+ years with experience driving different cars
- Competent on Office, Photoshop, Premier Pro, Final Cut, Adobe Audition, Teamsite CMS, VCM, ENPS & iNews
- Proficient writer for Television, Radio, Newspapers and the Web
- 2.1 BA Hons English and Drama, University of Birmingham (2010)
- Basic Arabic & Japanese & Intermediate Two Spanish
- A Levels AABBC & GCSEs 4 x As, 5 x A*
Multimedia Journalism Experience
November 2011 – Present BBC Newcastle: Broadcast Journalist (reporter), Alfie and Charlie Breakfast show
August - October 2011 BBC Newcastle: Broadcast Assistant, Alfie and Charlie Breakfast show
- Editing programme pieces during live broadcast and writing cues
- Operating broadcast equipment
- Answering phones for live phone-in
- Generating story ideas
May – July 2011 ITV London Tonight: Freelance Assistant News Editor
- Co-ordinating crews so that all London news is covered simultaneously
- Input newsgathering including ingesting tapes, keeping across all London news and generating stories
- Standing up stories and fixing interviews at short notice
- Operating autocue during live broadcast to over 1million viewers
April 25 – May 13th Sky News Online: Intern
- Researching & Writing online stories
- Dressing-up reporter copy in CMS
- Worked with UGC for Royal Wedding
- Overnight Live AV Referendum and local election coverage
Dec 10 – Jan & April 18 – 21 2011 BBC Radio Newcastle: Intern
- Researching, writing copy, phone-bashing, editing, pre-rec interviews, vox-pops
- 1 on-air package on BBC Newcastle and BBC Tees
- Co-producing live OB
July - Aug 10 & June-July 2011 Maverick TV: Junior Researcher, New Media
- Researching medical subjects, running, advertising, creating/editing web content/copy & brainstorming
May 2010 BBC WM & BBC Birmingham website: Covered International Dance Festival events
June 09 - Jan 10 Aston FM/Big City Radio: Head of News (Sole Broadcast Journalist)
- Researching, reading, recording, editing and emailing local news bulletins for 5 community radio stations
- Traffic & Travel, sound and programming, producing/presenting, brainstorming, meeting and greeting
July/Aug 08 The Daily Voice Newspaper, Cape Town: Intern & published reporter with a front-page story.
Aug 08 The South African Human Rights Commission, Cape Town: Journalism internship
- Reporting human rights violations, including refugee camps and Pollsmoor Maximum Security Prison
G:tv: Production Manager for 2.5 years (primarily running News and Music shows)
Burn FM: Broadcast Journalist, Deputy Head of News and Producer/Presenter News Hour, Mainstream & Specialist
February 2011 ITV News at 10: Shadowing Julie Etchingham, Presenter and Penny Marshall, Reporter
June 2010 BBC Tees: Shadowing Jonny Coates, Cameraman & John Proudler, Tech Director
May 2010 BBC Midlands Today: Shadowing Shooting Video Journalist Ben Sidwell, on location
December 2009 ITV Central News: Shadowing filming and editing to TX with Mark Gough
November 2009 BBC Midlands Today News: Work experience
March 09 - July 10 Presenter and Talent Scout for My Website Presenter
Jan 08 – Nov 10 Drama and Speech Teacher for Centrestage School of Speech and Drama
Aug – Sept 08 6-weeks voluntary TEFL teaching and teacher training in Ella, Sri Lanka with Mercy Trucks NGO.
Sept 07- Marketing worker for Project Trust
Feb 05 - 07 Telephone Interviewer (including field work) Dipsticks Research
Aug 06 – Aug 07 Voluntary Spoken English and Pronunciation Teacher for Maris Stella College, India
Gap Year: August 2006 to August 2007, I taught Conversational English in a Catholic women’s college and homes for former street children in Vijayawada, Andhra Pradesh, India with Project Trust (a gap year organisation). Fundraising for this year, the work I did and the 3 months I spent travelling – meeting and living with local people – taught me a range of skills, such as teaching and interacting with others, and gave me a greater understanding of cultures, the world and life in general.
Travel: in Israel/Palestine in September 2007, South Africa and Sri Lanka in the summer of 2008.
Birmingham Talking Newspaper for over 400 blind and partially sighted people in the West Midlands.