With discount apps like VoucherCloud and the popular discount website Groupon, ‘coupon culture’ has hit the capital.
Fiona Marley Paterson hits the streets to put it to the test:
Listen to the full interview with Groupon’s Joshua Lehmann:
Money saving tips
Ellen Ruppel Shell is the author of Cheap: The High Cost of Discount Culture. She says instead of considering how cheap something is, we should ask questions like:
- Will it save us time, or consume time?
- Do I have to learn a new user-interface to use it?
- What am I going to get out of it?
- What would happen if I put off buying it for a year?
- What else could I spend the money on that might be a better choice?
- Is it something I can hand down to my kids or will it break?
- Can it be serviced and repaired at home?
- Will it make our household environment more pleasant, or less pleasant?
- Will it clutter the house?
- How much storage space will it consume?